Jun 4, 2012

The 6.2 mile trek

Notice the fringe on top - THAT's PEOPLE!!






I knew I could make it, it would just be slow - one foot at a time.  


Off we went - 3.2 miles to the top.  Up, down over, through, twist, rocks, climb...........there were several thousand folks walking, pulling wagons with kids on it (NOT ME MAN!!), kids in back carriers and a couple with walking casts on their legs.

Dave stuck with me - I told him I'd make it; but he was SO gracious to be there.  Actually it wasn't too bad through the woods.



Check in Statioin #2  


We are getting closer.  I MIGHT have gotten there faster but I kept taking pictures.  (MY story - sticking with it!)

This was at the 2nd checking station (and potty stop).  I told KaCe that Grandad and I had EACH had one of these in the late 1970's.  So he climbed up and we discussed how to steer it and which "stick" was for what.






I DID buy a Gatorade at one stop.
He thought it was funny to NOT have a steering wheel just sticks.
Step, step, step, step..............................
See the sign behind K?  He read that sign to Deb and Carol needing help with only a couple of words.  He did great - keeping up with Carol/Deb listening to his mp3 player.
Hmmm!  Closer yet!
HERE WAS MY DOWNFALL!  We stopped. I bought a couple more Gatorade's for me (one for K) and chugged them.  Then I sat down in a chair.  WRONG!  WRONG! WRONG!!


Started out again and almost at once I began to have charley horses.......step, step, step...........


About 300 yd from the view up his nose my thighs, arches, shins began cramping.........I shouldn't have stopped after drinking........



I borrowed KaCe's stick and pulled myself up the mtn.  (I silently wondered HOW I was going to get down???  Why wasn't the Gatorade kicking in??????)





Whoa!! Looking up the nose!  Way to go!



YRICKA!!!!! I made it.























KaCe did awesome! Not one word of complaint.










The view from the top was something else. Yes, I'm glad KaCe said yes.
Birds in his eye.
KaCe and his new best friend - Carol!  Thanks Carol.

We were up top about 14 minutes and gradually the liquid got into my system and the pain subsided.
Debbie said she had it all figured out how to get me down.   Roll me off the top!  Down was a different trail and pretty "down".  As we could see the bottom KaCe never said a word but his steps got smaller and smaller.  However he just kept plodding.



THE END!




No comments: