Sep 30, 2011

SssssssnnnnnnnAAAAAAAkkkkke........no wait caterpillar???

Wylie and I rose late Wednesday morning.  It was a beautiful morning. It was the first night we have turned the AC off and just left the windows open.  The coyotes were quite near but  we were safe.  So I began my morning ritual, pickup Wylie on the bed, shut the bedroom door, use the bathroom, comb hair, brush teeth get dog dish to fill for his dinner and OMG!!!!! out from under the pantry came a head about an inch long attached to 7 inches of BODY!!!  I levitated onto the toilet (Thank God the lid was down) and screamed bloody murder.  This, of course, had Ken (peacefully sleeping)  flailing on the bed yelling what's going on and all I could get out was ssssssnnnnnnnaaaaaaakkkkkkeeee!!!!!!  He comes floundering out of the bedroom yelling where, where and I just point to the floor behind the dog food...............tttttthhhhhheeerrrrreee!!
Well, by this time his eyes are somewhat open and he begins throwing towels, dogfood etc out of his way.  I - the TRUE heroine I am - take a flying leap off the toilet, land near the office chair grab Wylie and We were OUTA THERE!!  We waited as thumps and bumps went on in the camper.  Pretty soon I come back into the RV and there is Ken sitting dejectedly on the throne.  Success????  No - He escaped back into the pantry and down a hole.......................  Ken assures me the black body means it getting ready to meta-morph into a a a a...... an ugly moth!!!
Marilyn and Loren have been telling up about these hummingbird moths that live here and they've seen a LOT of this summer.  They say they are as big as your thumb, really LONG and morph into a hummingbird...........is it one of them???  I've searched on the net and come up with NO, NO he wasn't green he was black, his head was about an inch long (with my head about in the dog food bag I was REAL close to his HEAD).    O woe is me!!! What to do? What to do?  Ken assures me he is gone. 

That night I got ready for bed and including a new ritual:  Pick the slippers up and put them into the cupboard; take a big flashlight to bed and pray a LOT.  The next morning before "bouncing" out of bed I took the flashlight and peeerrred over the edge.  Hmmmm.  No whatever it is.  Take the slippers out of the cupboard, survey the floor into the bathroom and get up for the day.  The dog food is no longer in the bathroom and there is NOTHING to stop me from seeing the "thing". Wylie and I go outside and sit waiting for Ken to rise.  Besides it is "safer" outside.  When he rose,  Ken once again assured me it is gone.

Went to Wal-Mart and looked for Big Long SLUG spray. Can't find any.  hmmm - more research on the net - still don't think that's what it is.  What to do, what to do?  I, being me, have visions of swarming moths coming out of the pantry any time now OR it really IS a sssssnnnnnaaaakkk NO IT CAN'T BE THAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rewind  OR it went to lay a million eggs..........Groan.  What to do, what to do???  Ken remains assured it is gone!

So I have been SWing up a storm.  Finished one and started redoing the brown one - all of this is OUTSIDE of course.  So I've sat there and stewed....mind over matter.....you aren't REALLY that - yes I am..... what to do, what to do?


So today - Friday - Wyn and I went to the store.  (We are having pulled pork sandwiches, Sharon's Slaw, Pickled Beets, Loren's Chef Salad and a couple of other secret things in honor of Wyn/Ki's 10 going on 21 years.)  On the way I tell Wyn I've decided to get a bottle of Bourbon, drink it and then tackle the pantry.  If nothing else I can throw up on the Thing.)  Now this is a friend - Wyn said - I'll get some gloves and get in there - doesn't bother me.............. Nooooo - I can't let you dooooo; SURE okay, works for me.  


So she has me stay in the kitchen (on the office chair :)  ) and she begins moving the "stuff" on the floor.  Then she says, hmmmmm (You KNOW you're in trouble) Looks like rice - maybe.  OHHH no I groan.  Later she says Nope it's styrofoam - Oh yes from the insulation Ken put in there when we discarded the washer/dryer. Ahhh, yes there are a couple of holes - which we promptly stuff SOS pads down (yeah, yeah the real stuff tomorrow).  And Ken says (He who is SURE IT'S GONE!!) Have her pull out the drawers under the closet!!!!!!!
 

The bottom line is we find NOTHING, but we sure plugged a few holes.


And I am NOT doing any more research on the internet because I DO NOT want to read about venomnous insects of SNM and Texas; Thailand lethal insects which can be found in Mexico; One Hundred (Creepy) insects of New Mexico (that one was a REAL shudder bringeroner ewwwww).  As it IS I'm going to take my little purple scrubby my friend Linda crocheted me (I know it was supposed to be for dishes but it works in the shower I'm told) and scrub this old body down........ I'm all itchy just thinking about all the pictures I've seen of bugs, insects, sssssnnnnaaaakkkkeesss, etc.    


New Mexico - Not really New, not really Mexico but we DO love it here!
 

3 comments:

nomadmartins said...

Billy, Billy I got a job for ya!!!!
I'm laughing and still laughing. Damn it why do I miss all the good stuff? You are just sooooo funny..
Snnaaakkkkeeeee..........

Mona Miller said...

Still laughing, it's as if I'm there, I can see it so vividly! Having grown up with you I have a few memories of my own. Remember the black rat snake chasing me and you sscreaming at the to of your lungs?? I sure do, dad saved the day that time too!! Too funny mom, woke Mike up laughing so hard this morning.

Linda/Newell Zeller said...

OMGosh.....anymore such tales (tails) and I may change my mind and not come until much later (HA) Too funny....leaves a very vivid picture - certainly does make one very aware of the surroundings!! I'd prefer to think it a caterpillar/moth vs. a snnnaaakee!! Good Luck.