Jun 10, 2009

Grey's River Wildlife!

I got back to Alpine where Ken had the motorhome, rested a little and then we went up Grey's River to look for wildlife. The first thing Ken saw was a moose in the river. Nice cow that just stayed still watching us. She never moved.............we're sure she had a calf somewhere around. Then a little farther on he saw a buck laying beside the road. From the looks of his velvety horns he's going to be a nice sized buck. Farther one he says there's a cow with a collar. So I stop and when I get out to look with the glasses a calf jumps up.


Then we wander on seeing deer here and an elk there up the road about 20 miles. Ken looks out one side and I look out the other - we laugh and say Yeah, we're probably missing the ones that are in the road. Ha, Ha! Yup! sure enough we look up about then and see a moose running down the road - that picture isn't one of our better ones but hey! we didn't run over her. We wander up the river about 22 miles and turn around so we can still see going back down.
Just about the time it is too dark we see an elk, I see one. I get out of the pickup to get a picture and the hillside erupts with elk going everywhere. Cows and babies and babies and cows. Some go across the road in front of us and 1/2 go into the river swimming to the other side. Then they all stop! Hmmm! My kid is over there on the wrong side of the river crying for me so the river crossing elk swim back across to snuggle up with their calves. What a hoot! Of Course it is too dark to see but I caught the first one jumping into the river and a group of about 7. I love this place!!

No comments: